I’m back in Minnesota!! Looking back, I was on vacation for 7 days and spent 4 of those days in the car:( The time spent with family was well worth the long car rides though! As always, the vacation flew by too quickly. As happy as I am to finally be home and out of the car, I miss everyone already. While I was there, I went grocery shopping with my cousin Michael (he loves grocery shopping as much as I do!!!) so that we could make this recipe. We spent at least an hour at the store, and we probably went down each aisle at least twice!! It’s so great to meet someone who understands my love of looking at strange food and flavors!!
What’s in Ellie’s belly?
Lots and lots of crumbs from these Lemon Creme Crumb bars. I was definitely the crumb queen for these bars. Whenever anyone cut themselves a bar, I was right behind them straightening out their cuts and eating up all the little crumbs they missed!! I kept the pan looking nice and clean;)
These bars consist of three delicious layers. The top and bottom layers are made of the same dough, but they come out of the oven with completely different textures. The bottom layer (which in the end is baked twice) was super duper crunchy!! I loved it so much! I love gooey and doughy things, but that crunch was exactly what these bars needed. On top of that was the creamy lemon layer. It had a nice and refreshing lemon flavor. We served the bars cold, and it was best that way. The top layer was the buttery crumb layer that always is amazing!
These bars only lasted a day!! Granted, there were about 10 people in the house and it only made an 8 by 8 pan…but still! Everyone loved them, and my aunts all asked for the recipe! They liked the addition of oats in a lemon recipe, which they had never seen before! This recipe is a definite keeper! Even if I personally don’t make it again, I will likely eat them again because my aunts are likely to make them again!!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp salt*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, rolled oats, salt and baking soda. Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar and mix until no clumps of sugar remain. Stir vanilla into melted butter and pour mixture over dry ingredients. Using a spoon, stir mixture until evenly moistened. Sprinkle half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 by 8-inch baking dish and gently press into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside (leaving oven heated at 350 degrees).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon extract until well blended. Pour mixture over crumb crust in baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining crumb mixture. Bake in preheated oven 23 – 26 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature, once cool cover and refrigerate 30 minutes – 1 hour (I actually loved this cold), then remove and cut into squares. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- *If using salted butter reduce salt amount to 1/8 tsp
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy