So I believe it’s time I shared another non-dessert recipes! Let’s talk veggies!! I mentioned before that they are one of my favorite things to eat at graduation parties…and there also one of my favorite things to eat period. So when I discovered this recipe I knew I had to make it right away!!
So I made this and filled up my belly with all of it’s veggie goodness!!
My younger sister, Ashley (the one who helped me in my first post!), absolutely loved this recipe!! I was so happy because she doesn’t usually like my food, or even try it for that matter:( It’s probably my fault because the recipes I make are usually a little different and she would rather stick with the basics! But she loved this and actually told me how much she loved it! She had three big servings the night I made it and ate up all the leftovers! SUCCESS!!!
I made the recipe in our giant pizza skillet. It was a little big for the stove, but it still worked! The recipe made lots and lots, so it was a good thing I decided to use such a large skillet! When I make the recipe again (YES I did just say when NOT if!!) I will definitely add even more veggies (so that large skillet will be even more necessary)! When I made this I put extra veggies in, but I could even add more! I especially want more broccoli and peas!
I made a few slight changes to the recipe besides adding more vegetables! I didn’t use ginger (not a huge fan) or the sesame oil. I also substituted a yellow pepper for the red pepper because that’s what we had, but I would have preferred the red pepper so that I could add more colors and make it prettier:) I didn’t thaw and drain the peas and corn because I totally forgot, and I didn’t have the rice cooled before adding it. I just made the rice as I was making the veggies and then I added the hot rice straight the skillet when the recipe called for it!
The recipe comes from cookingclassy.com
- 3 cups cooked and chilled brown rice*
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced carrots (dice somewhat thin)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups small diced broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup frozen petite peas, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen petite corn, thawed and drained
- 3 – 4 Tbsp soy sauce, to taste
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Heat oil in a large non-stick wok (or large, deep skillet) over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onions, garlic and ginger and saute 3 minutes. Add broccoli and bell pepper and saute until veggies are soft, about 3 – 4 minutes. Move veggies over to one side of the pan, crack eggs into opposite side and scramble and cook through.
- Stir rice, peas, corn, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook and toss 2 minutes. Serve warm.