So, I am a nanny! I nanny for a boy going into the 7th grade and a girl going into 3rd, and it’s probably one of the best jobs ever. I never work on the weekends, I am always done before 5, and my job is pretty much hanging out with kids while keeping them safe! The kids I nanny for are also super chill and easy to take care of. The only problem is they would sit on the computer all day if I let them. To prevent this, I try to bring something to do every time I visit. I bring board games, card games, art supplies, and of course baking supplies and recipes. This week I decided to bring ice cream supplies!!!
This week I made some creamy, SCOOPABLE ice cream with them, and proceeded to fill my belly with it!!
Again my ice cream was scoopable! This time however, no eggs were used. This time there was sweetened condensed milk in the recipe, which I think helped keep the ice cream soft. Oh and it probably helped make the ice cream delicious!!
For the past year or two I have been puzzling over why you can only buy one type of cookie dough ice cream…?? Like why only chocolate chip cookie dough? There are plenty of other cookies in the world to use dough from, so why only chocolate chip cookie dough? I still don’t understand, so I am working hard to change that this summer. Other cookie dough ice creams I want to try are oatmeal raisin cookie dough ice cream (YUMMY oats!!!) and sugar cookie dough ice cream! Last summer I made some monster cookie dough ice cream, and that was AMAZING, so I need to continue making more kinds!
I made this Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Ice Cream with the kids I nanny because Snickerdoodles are there absolute favorite cookies! I figured this would be perfect for them, and boy was I right!! They loved it!! They both had large bowlfuls after our trip to the pool. It was the perfect treat after the long walk back in the hot sun!
I made the entire cookie dough recipe, but next time I will definitely only make half because we ended up not putting all of it in the ice cream! I also froze the ice cream before serving, because it melts very quickly and they didn’t want cold snickerdoodle soup!
So here’s the recipe!!
Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Yield: about 1 quart
- For the Cookie Dough
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C sugar substitute
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon (a little less if you don’t like a lot of spice)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 C butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp non-fat milk
- For the Ice Cream
- 2 C fat-free half & half, chilled
- 1 (14 oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk, chilled
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon (a little less if you don’t like a lot of spice)
- Stir together flour, sugar, sugar substitute, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until combined. Add in butter, vanilla, and milk. Stir until a soft dough forms. Form dough into 1/4 – 1/2 inch balls. (I made half small and half larger to distribute the flavor but also have big bites of cookie dough!) Place cookie dough bites in a freezer safe container and store in the freezer until ready to add to the ice cream.
- Whisk together half & half and sweetened condensed milk. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon. Add to milk mixture and whisk to thoroughly combine. Pour in ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Five minutes before the finishing time or when ice cream is soft set, add the cookie dough bites and allow machine to finish churning.
- Serve immediately!