So… camping was quite the adventure! It was a bit crazy at times, but overall it was a great trip with my sisters! We forgot a couple things, like paper to help start a fire…So starting fires was a bit more challenging than it needed to be, but my sisters made it work! I didn’t help in the making of any fires because I was all about the food preparation. We had tacos one night and brats the next! In the morning, we enjoyed some yummy pancakes! My favorite!! I wasn’t a huge fan of the smoky campfire-y taste they had, but a pancake is still a pancake!!
I always forget how gross and sticky I feel when I am camping. Even after taking a shower, I never truly felt clean, so I am very happy to be back home! I love camping, but it’s always nice to come back home! I missed our kitchen, and I can’t wait to make some dinners this week.
Last week, my family’s bellies were filled with this yummy skillet dinner!
It took a while to make, but most of it was down time. I made it with brown rice instead of white rice, so it took a little longer to get the rice cooked through. I had to change the recipe a little bit to adjust for this. Instead of putting the rice in with the chicken right away (step 6), I took out the chicken and put it in another pan with a cover so that it stayed warm. I cooked the rice in the chicken broth for 30 minutes before adding the chicken back in, then I followed the recipe again from step 6!
It needed more broccoli in my opinion!! Every dish I ever make with broccoli always needs more broccoli than the recipe says! It was still really good though! It was rich and creamy, but it wasn’t unhealthy at all! I even used less cheese than the recipe called for, and it was still plenty cheesy! It wasn’t amazing in my opinion, but everyone liked it!
I was a little worried that there would be too much liquid, but that was not a problem at all. I don’t know where it all went, but who cares! it worked and that is all that matters!!
One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
Yield: 4-6 servings
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced finely
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked extra long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet or pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
3. Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute.
4. Push chicken to one side of the pan and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to other side.
5. Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and saute it for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
7. Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
8. Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
9. Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
10. Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
11. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.