Recipe Number 80!! And man is it a good one:)
If you love egg bakes, this is THE recipe to try this weekend! Trust me! I didn’t get a chance to try it fresh from the oven, but I had the leftovers the next morning, and honestly I don’t see how it could possibly be any better! If the leftovers were amazing, I can’t even imagine what the fresh-from-the-oven bake would taste like! So into my belly those yummy leftovers went!!
It’s reminds me of the classic tater tot hot-dish, but with eggs and for breakfast!! It has everything you could want in a breakfast bake. Eggs, loads of cheese cheese, sausage AND bacon, and of course potatoes in tot form! I love that there are tater tots in this bake because A) they’re AMAZING, B) they’re adorable, and C) I can lay them out nice and pretty! I seriously took the time to lay out each individual tot into neat rows! It was totally worth the extra time in my opinion!!
It was so easy to make. Just brown the sausage, stir up the eggs, shred the cheese, put that all in a pan, and sprinkle with tots! I whipped it up the night before so that my family could just stick it in the oven when they got up in the morning. Well I guess it wasn’t quite that simple. They also had to fry up the bacon, but they could do that while it baked the first 30 minutes or so. I wasn’t there when all of this happened because I was “working” (I nanny for some kids and it doesn’t really feel like work most days!). My aunt told me that the eggs weren’t quite done when the timer went off, so they baked it for an extra 10 minutes. They didn’t let it sit like the recipe says though, so maybe if it would have sat for a while, it would have finished cooking? They just don’t know because they didn’t have the time to wait.
Also as a result of my absence, I was unable to take the photos. I had my younger sister take them. Which seemed like a good idea, but I got them back and 50% were blurry:( So these photos will have to do! Well at least until I make it again. YES! I will be making this again! I am sure it will be requested at some point!
So this weekend, you should definitely make this Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake! It makes a big 9 by 13 inch pan, so you will have lots of leftovers for the week…or maybe not if either you have a big appetite or you have a big family!
The recipe comes from http://www.chewoutloud.com/2015/01/27/cheesy-tater-tot-breakfast-bake/
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage, no casings
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 extra large eggs or 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- pinch of table salt (1/8 tsp)
- 2 lbs frozen tater tots
- 3 TB freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- In a very large skillet, cook sausage on medium high heat, breaking up the meat and browning it. Once cooked through, drain and layer onto the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan. Evenly sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese over cooked sausage.
- In a large bowl, hand-whisk together the milk, eggs, pepper, onion powder, and salt. Once mixed, pour evenly over the cheese and sausage in baking dish. Layer top with frozen tater tots. If not baking right away, cover tightly with foil and chill in fridge until the next morning.
- When ready to bake, set oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Once oven reaches 350F, place casserole in oven for about 35 minutes. Top with additional ½ cup cheese, cooked/crumbled bacon, and bake another 5-10 minutes or until sides are bubbling and top is golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley, let rest at room temp 10 minutes, and serve.