Guess what?? Garage sales are my best friend! I have had such good luck this summer. I’ve only been to a couple, but I keep finding wonderful surprises! A couple weeks ago I bought 2 seasons of Friends for only $5 each! What a steal! Plus they were like brand spankin’ new!! This was an especially huge deal because I just recently started my Friends DVD collection. It started with one and then all of a sudden I have 5 seasons…I don’t even know how it happened!
Today I had another wonderful surprise greet me at a garage sale! And that surprise’s name is ZUCCHINI!! They are sooooooo huge! Bigger than I have ever seen the before! I’ll take a picture of them so you understand! I’ll be having lot’s of zucchini recipes these next couple of weeks:) I am so not tired of them yet, and I hope you aren’t either because here’s another one:)
Chocolate and Yogurt Zucchini Bread made its way into my belly this morning!!
I decided to make this recipe because I knew we had lots of plain yogurt leftover from when my mom made her banana bread last weekend. I really like making recipes with yogurt in them! I am still waiting to make some greek yogurt peanut butter swirled brownies! I also just love yogurt! I have recently become a fan of Greek yogurt, (peach and cherry are my favs!). And actually, as my love for greek yogurt has grown, my dislike for regular yogurt has grown twice as much! I used to love vanilla yogurt, but now it’s like eating sugar goop! Sorry you probably don’t care! I’ll get back to today’s recipe!
First things first! It was definitely a hit in this house! We’re at my grandparent’s house this weekend with my cousins, so there were quite a few people, but 3/4 of this bread was eaten along with 3/4 of that Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake (yes a repeat!!) and an entire mini loaf of a new banana bread that I will be sharing soon!
It was super rich, fudgy, and chocolatey! It was very dense and didn’t rise very much unfortunately:( It was borderline brownie, but not enough to not consider it breakfast;) We ate it when it was still warm because that’s the best way!! It says to wait until it has cooled before slicing and serving, but do I do what I want!! I never truly follow the recipe anyway!
There is loads of zucchini in this recipe. My zucchini was extremely wet, so I really had to squeeze out the moisture. I probably could have done it even more because the bread was really moist! Not wet, but getting close! Still delicious though, don’t let that scare you away! Even though I say it’s delicious, I must admit that I probably won’t make it again. I really want to find a bread that actually rises and is more bread like. Not that dense and fudgy isn’t wonderful, it’s just that I want more of a bread like bread! I’ll probably try another one with all of this zucchini I now have on my hands, so I’ll let you know if I find a better recipe!!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 and ½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 3 cups grated and squeezed zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips, ¼ of it for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease 2 loaf pans (8 ½ x4 ½ inches) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add in olive oil and yogurt and mix well.
- Add in cocoa and mix with a spatula.
- Mix flour, salt, vanilla powder and baking powder in a bowl and sift into the egg wet mixture. Stir until smooth, but don’t overdo it.
- Add in grated zucchini and stir just until it is coated with the batter.
- Put ¼ cup of chocolate chips aside. Sprinkle a little flour over the rest of it and fold in the batter. Don’t overmix it.
- Share the batter into the pans. Top each with the chocolate chips and bake for 65 minutes.
- Let it cool completely before slicing and serving.