Remember how much I love garage sales?? Well guess what this recipe was made possible by a garage sale! An estate sale to be exact!! Because they sell almost everything in the house, I was able to purchase baking extracts!! I bought some clear vanilla, for when you don’t want to turn your frostings brown, and I bought some maple extract so that I could finally make this recipe. I have been waiting a long time to make this recipe. I feel like I always say that…maybe I should be more proactive and actually make the stuff I want to make right away! Easier said than done I fear. I feel like every time I want to make a recipe I feel like I need to wait until something else gets eaten first. Like when I want to make cookies, I have to wait until the trail mix is gone, but when the trail mix is gone, the ingredients I needed for the cookies are gone, then I go rummaging through the cook books to find a recipe I actually have all the ingredients to make. Then I make some cookies, and when those are gone, I feel like I can’t make more cookies because we just had cookies! It’s a vicious cycle!!
Well the vicious cycle has finally turned in my favor and I had all the ingredients for this recipe and the perfect excuse to make it!!
What’s in Ellie’s Belly? Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Maple Glaze!
This is definitely a keeper in my opinion!! I loved it for so many reasons.
1.The banana bread itself was super moist and soft!
2.The glaze soaked into the crust of the banana bread a little and crystallized to make a wonderful coating that make me smile!
3.Maple flavoring is the crazy cool! I had never had it before, but now I realize that I have truly been missing out! I can’t wait to try it in other recipes!!
4.Peanut Butter = Life!! Enough said!
No this is not your traditional banana bread, and yes I know that traditional banana bread is nearly impossible to compete with. Even if this isn’t quite as good as your mom/grandma can make it, it is still worth a try!! Trust me! It’s different and unique and wonderful! Plus its long name makes it sound fancy and gourmet!! So when people ask what kind of bread it is, you get to say more than just “banana bread.” You get to say “Peanut Butter Banana Bread with a Maple Glaze!”
So make this bread and fall in love with the peanut butter and maple flavors! I almost forgot!! I made those peanut butter pancakes with peanut butter maple syrup! I am so happy this bread helped me remember my love for this combination!!:)
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BREAD WITH MAPLE GLAZE
FOR THE BREAD:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tired bananas
- 2 eggs
- 7 tablespoons sour milk (To make sour milk: adding 1 teaspoon white vinegar to the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (see note)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray loaf pan (about 9×5.5”) with cooking spray.
- Mix oil, peanut butter, and sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the bananas, eggs, sour milk, and baking soda to a blender. Blend until liquid forms.
- Add 1/2 of the liquid and 1 cup of flour, stir until just moistened, then add remaining banana mixture and 1 cup flour.
- Stir just until combined.
- Place batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top has browned an a toothpick comes out of the center clean, but may have a few crumbs stuck to it. If the top starts getting too brown, you can cover it with foil during baking. Cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Make the glaze: whisk melted butter and powdered sugar. Add extracts, whisk until smooth. Add heavy whipping cream, whisk until smooth. Immediately pour over the top of the bread and spread to the edges. Let dry before cutting.