I interrupt the zucchini recipe overload for a delicious summer salad with one of summer finest fruits! The watermelon!!:) Unlike the zucchini, the watermelon has made very few appearances at my house this summer:( But we have one now and I am going to take full advantage of its juicy goodness!
My belly today is filled with a watermelon salad that’s coated in lemon dressing and topped with feta cheese!
It is so so PRETTY!!! I mean seriously! Look at the colors! It’s almost too pretty to eat…ALMOST! Believe me this salad should be eaten! It belongs in your belly!
I had never had watermelon in a salad before today, but I thought it looked yummy so I decided to give it a try! I liked it! Like a lot! My mom wasn’t a huge fan, but she still had seconds;) The best part about eating the salad was getting a big spoonful of every single ingredient. A little pile of noodles, a big piece of feta, some shavings of basil and a big juicy bite of watermelon! Every little ingredient into my mouth all at the same time. The flavors worked so well together. The lemon flavor was there, but it wasn’t over-powering! The feta created a kind of sauce and coated each noodle with its tangy-ness! The basil gave it a fresh taste and the watermelon added some crispness and juiciness!
I couldn’t find orzo at the grocery store, which was so weird because I’ve bought it many times before. So instead I bought a small box of small rings which worked just as well! That’s why in the recipe title orzo is in quotation marks. Little pasta is adorable. I think I have rambled about this before, but pasta is so awesome because you can buy it in so many different shapes. Little bow ties and big bowties! Long, round strands and long, flat strands! Alphabet shaped and shells of all sizes! You can even get it in different colors! I want to try them all!! Hmmm…perhaps that could be a goal next summer?!
I am getting ahead of myself. Let’s go back to focusing on the present! If you’re tired of zucchini, but you’re still want to enjoy more of summer’s produce, make this salad! It’s perfect to bring to a party or just to make for a yummy lunch at home like I did!
- 1 1/2 cups dry orzo
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon (dice into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes)
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (12g) chopped fresh basil
- Cook pasta in salted water according to directions listed on package. Drain well (don’t rinse!) then pour into a large bowl.
- While pasta boils, stir together lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and honey. Pour half of mixture over drained pasta in bowl and toss. Season with salt taste. Allow to cool.
- Add watermelon, feta and basil to orzo, add remaining lemon juice mixture and toss to evenly coat.